Since its founding in 2003, Arts on the Block’s mission has been to empower creative youth to imagine and shape fulfilling futures and contribute to the quality of life in their communities. AOB achieves its mission by providing real-world experiences in the arts, educational guidance and entrepreneurial training geared to their unique capabilities.
Each goal of Arts on the Block is firmly fixed on the success of students and apprentices. AOB strives to:
- Provide high quality, on-the-job training through various artistic media in a year-round arts-based program;
- Operate within a positive youth environment framework, providing professional mentoring and other reinforcements aimed at strengthening participants’ developmental assets;
- Increase public awareness of the importance of the arts and arts education;
- Supplement and build upon the learning objectives of Montgomery County Public Schools;
- Strengthen social skills, build self-confidence and develop problem solving, reasoning and decision-making skills among participating youth apprentices.
Arts on the Block participants will grow to be:
- Creative individuals who know and believe in themselves and their gifts;
- Conscious and skilled creators of future opportunities in education, careers and lives;
- Valuable and effective team leaders, and team members;
- Responsible and respectful human beings; and
- Active contributors to their communities and society.